1.19.2008

Mazhab 101

I am not a practicing Muslim. I do not pray or fast. I have no inclination to visit Makkah. I would rather donate to a hospital or a school than support a religious cause. I find mosques to be a waste of space and resources. I am just not fascinated by the idea of Islam as an overrated religion.

In fact, I find religion to be overrated in general. The way I live my life has little to do with religion. I have my own morality, my own right and wrong and it works just fine for me - until the 'self-righteous' make it a point to talk to me about religion.

A) My life is none of your business
B) There is a life beyond religion - Get over it!
C) If you make the mistake of taking me up on religion, be prepared. I will prove you wrong on your own flawed logic.

Seriously, what is wrong with people? What is wrong with supposed self righteous Muslims. Of course, they need to get a life but beyond that they need to find a God: a God that can be God and yet tolerate the prevalent notion of religion.

I grew up in a Muslim household. I have prayed, fasted, read the Quran and even taught Quran. Only that I never felt content with babbling Arabic without knowing what it means and I could not make peace with practicing religion without understanding it.

I make no claims to understand religion. I am not proposing I know God. But I know your God does not exist. I know the God you preach cannot be God. And it frustrates me. It irritates me when you go around praying five times a day without knowing what the verses mean. I do not pray but I can translate the verses you recite during prayer for you. I know the meaning of the prayers I do not say. You do not know what Quranic verses mean in your language when you read them. I really do not see whatever gave you the idea you can come talk to me about religion.

Seriously people, stop telling me about what your Imam, Aalim or Molvi Sahib said. I am sick and tired of the Mullah. You would rather believe a Mullah for what he thinks religion to be. I would rather be content with my own interpretation. At least, I know what I know for myself. I am not drowning on the behest of any self proclaimed Jesus.

3 comments:

Awais Aftab said...

Kudos! Very noble sentiments... and i happen to share them too :D
Though i do know a bit about religion, since i spent quite a lot of time in theological debates and studying religious philosophy.

Zeeshan Suhail said...

Seems like you're actually ranting and raving more than giving any concrete details as to why you're agnostic and not a practicing Muslim.

I agree with your thoughts on knowing meaning and content versus preaching and proselytizing, yet the simple solution is to go to a learned person who actually knows what he is trying to impart to you! We all seek God and peace in different ways, so find that certain someone who can actually knows what theyre talking about and learn as much as you can.

Sorry to say, but you're missing out on a lot!

me said...

it makes me feel like crying...religion...my god is the silent god that looked over my baby when she was premature and had probs..my god is the spirit that saved me from killing myself at 17 cause i couldnt get the shit outta my head what my dad did to me...my god is the spirit that got me out of an abusive relationship why I waited 8 yrs i will never know ...that good vibe (when i want it to be!) been with me through the shit times and the good and stops me from feeling sorry for myself....my god is no fucker that any religion can tell me....fuck that shit... my god is in my heart, i know my right from wrong, my morels, thats means shit to me...my daughter means the world to me...she is my world...my god...i love her so much.....and that is all that matters people.........thats all that matters