6.05.2008

Home

They say 'home is where the heart is'. My heart is not in London. It is not the city with its archaic structures or dreary skies it is the person within me who is reluctant to associate with this place as yet. I feel I am in transit.

I have switched houses every few years so moving is not new to me. With the exception of my four years at college I have never lived in a city for more than three years. Yet somewhere in a hidden closet I have nourished the desire to find home in one place and settle down. There is no time line and there is no specific place set down. It can be any time and any where just so long as it happens.

I was happy in Lahore. Happier in DC. I am not sure if I will be as happy in Lahore as I was before. Association stems from people rather than place. My parents are still in Lahore but my friends and siblings are not. More so, the newly found husabnd is no where near Lahore. Lahore is stripped of association for me. It is a city - a nice - that used to be home. For two years DC was home away from home. Now, I feel stranded somewhere in the middle.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

no place like home, is there?!
in this case, i mean Pakistan...

irrespective of electricity shortage, no water, bombs and craziness...there is just no place like here..im' a karachiite, and love it...

maybe you should consider moving back...

CR said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abbad said...

Very rightly said that home is where your heart is. I have been living in London for about 7 years now and I used to feel the same way you do when I initially came here. I am originally from Lahore but funny enough I miss London when I am in Lahore and miss Lahore when I am in London. It will take some time for you to settle in and get over this. Till then I suppose you can go out and about and see what the city known for it's architecture and history is all about! Good luck!

Tazeen said...

Believe ... roots are over rated ... its good that you have had chances to reinvent yourself in a new place every few years ... plus you have your whole life ahead for developing roots ...