4.14.2008

Learning to protest

I watched the Dutch documentary Fitna out of the same curiosity that led me to read through Satanic Verses by Rushdie. It never hurts (enough) to know what is out there whether you agree with it or not. Always know the opposition in the face of which you are to last.

I was irritated when I first watched the (excuse-for-a) documentary. I decided to watch it again and again till I could watch it without being distracted by religious association. And there it was: something to write about. Why sit alone in my room and get annoyed watching the clip on youtube. Why not write a paper tearing apart the sham of a political propaganda film the Dutch parliamentarian came out with. So, I am writing a paper about the (mis)represented 'Other' in the documentary: the other that is all over the screen yet denied the right to speak for itself. Let's speak for the other. It is time the other speaks.

1 comment:

Admin said...

I agree with you. A sensible response to a non sensible behaviour, and responding so by using the same means i.e media is the course the victims of this blasphemous acts should follow.